WHAT WE WANT
For the month of July VAE wants to fill our Main Gallery with artist's depictions of their daily commute! We want to see transportation, travel, and traffic through the eyes of creative people. There are many reasons we think so much about our daily commute:
> Minimizing our environmental footprint by walking, biking or using public transportation
> To make life better by living in close proximity to the places we spend the bulk of our time
> Maintain sanity by leaving the house on time to avoiding congested traffic
> Because it is beautiful - yes, sometimes your commute can be a thing of beauty!
What is your daily commute like? Where do you travel to? What do you see along the way? What is your favorite part? What is your least favorite part? What would make it better? What would you like to see on your commute? What form(s) of transportation do you utilize? Make some art about it and exhibit with us in July!
This is a non-juried exhibition, all are welcome! Entries must fit through VAE’s 104″ x 71″ door to be exhibited. Two works per artist.
Because this is a non-juried exhibition the only deadline is that your work arrive at the gallery by June 25 at 4pm!
It is strongly advised that artists fill out the online entry form for this exhibition, but it is not a requirement! Filling out the online entry form streamlines the process for both artists and VAE staff, is the best way to ensure your artwork's label information is correct, and allows you to upload an image of your piece so that VAE can do more to promote your work! FILL OUT THE ONLINE ENTRY FORM HERE!
Paper Entry Form- Online entries are strongly encouraged, but if you'd prefer to submit a paper entry form, you can download the form here!
Bring your work to VAE.........June 24, 11am-6pm - June 25, 11am-4pm
Exhibition Run………………….….…..July 1-21, 2016
Opening Reception…………..…….….July 1, 6-10pm
Artwork pick-up…………...........……July 22, 11am-6pm - July 23, 11am-4pm
Members - $5
Non-members - $10
Click here to join VAE!
If you are using the online form to submit information about and images of your work, please review these instructions for naming your files:
- All files should be named like so: 01_LASTNAME_TITLE.jpg, 02_LASTNAME_TITLE.jpg.
- Still images should be sent as jpegs should be at least 1000px at their widest dimension, not to exceed 2MB per image. 2D artists may submit one JPEG per entry. 3D artists may submit two JPEGS (one full shot and one detail) per entry. Follow the filename format for works as indicated above.
- Video samples should be edited to no longer than 2 minute excerpts. It is strongly preferred that video & audio artists submit their work online through clips or url addresses to online sharing formats like hulu, vimeo, youtube, or dropbox. Videos submitted as uploaded files should be submitted as Quicktime files whose width is no larger than 720px and file size is no larger than 10MB (as that is the largest file eligible for upload on our entry software). Please only submit video art or video documentation of an art piece that requires video to be fully experienced. Do not send video walk-throughs of static exhibitions or video slideshows. While web-hosted submissions are strongly preferred, video and audio samples can be submitted on CD if necessary. Please contact Brandon Cordrey to make arrangements for CD delivery prior to deadline. Follow the filename format for works as indicated above.
- Audio: Audio should be submitted as separate MP3 files. Each track should be no longer than 2 minutes. Follow the filename format for works as indicated above.
- Web-based: Web-based work should be submitted as a URL listed in the work sample list. Please only submit web-based projects. A portfolio website that features audio/video art and still images will not be considered.
OUR DAILY COMMUTE is open to any living artist. A maximum of 2 works of any medium, per artist may be submitted. Two and three dimensional entries will be accepted. Work must be original and completed in the last 3 years. No copies, mechanical reproductions, molds or kit work will be accepted. VAE reserves the right to exclude work due to size or special requirements. Entries must be hand delivered to the gallery or mailed in a returnable container. Artwork submitted on behalf of an artist requires written and signed authorization from the artist. Click here to view VAE’s exhibition policies.
VAE’s gallery space is fully accessible and we strive to make the submission process accessible as well. We encourage anyone to enter our open call exhibitions. If you need any additional information or accommodations in order to enter this exhibition please email Brandon or call 919.828.7834 ext 6 for assistance.
Ship artwork using a sturdy, reusable packing materials clearly labeled with your name and telephone number. Do not include return postage in case the artwork sells during the run of the exhibition. Following the exhibition each artist who shipped their work should generate a FedEx label and email it to Brandon so the piece may be returned. Do not use styrofoam packing peanuts. Shipments of artwork will be accepted June 20-25, 2016.
309 W Martin Street
Raleigh, NC 27601
VAE will retain a commission of 30% for VAE members, 50% for non-members on all work sold during the exhibit. If a work is not for sale please indicate with NFS value in appropriate space during registration or on the consignment sheet. Click here to join VAE!
All entries will be handled with the utmost care and respect. VAE is not liable for artwork during transportation to or from the gallery but does carry a blanket inland marine policy that covers most fine art works and craft items up to $5,000. VAE reserves the right to refuse coverage to artwork with inherent vices, high values or that is deemed unstable. By entering into this show, the artist agrees to abide by all rules and regulations as set by exhibition guidelines.
QUESTIONS? Email Brandon!