February 3 - March 30, 2017
Deadline - 11:59pm on December 21, 2016
The South is a hub for creativity. Raleigh is doing its part to lead this charge: The City of Raleigh recently adopted the Raleigh Arts Plan, a ten-year master plan to strengthen arts and culture for all. The newly appointed Director of the Office of Raleigh Arts has committed to "saying yes" to more creative people.
To do our part, VAE showcases some of the most ambitious and timely works by artists from across the region in our annual exhibition, Contemporary South. The purpose of the exhibition is to gather a survey of what creative people in the Regional South are currently creating. Since 2012 this exhibition has grown and expanded to become one of VAE's most well-received exhibitions. We invite you to help us make COSO17 the best iteration yet!
- The words "contemporary" and "south" do not dictate a particular aesthetic or subject matter, but refer to current work being made in the Regional South.
- No media restrictions.
- Entries must fit through VAE’s 104″ x 71″ door to be exhibited.
- Juried with JPEGs.
- Two entries per artist.
- Entries must be received by 11:59pm on Wednesday, December 21, 2016.
JUROR - Sheetal Prajapati
First - $500, Second - $250, Third - $100, (2) Merit Awards - $50.
Sheetal Prajapati works as the Assistant Director of Learning and Artists Initiatives at MoMA. Raised in Kentucky, Sheetal has a great insider/outsider view of the landscapes of the Regional South.
Sheetal received a BA in History and Gender Studies from Northwestern University and an MA in Arts Administration and Policy from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. While being an arts educator, Sheetal also works as an artist, most recently as a Southern Constellation fellow at Elsewhere.
Please use the online entry form to submit artwork details and pay your entry fee.
The form will ask you to:
> enter your personal contact information
> upload your JPEG entries OR submit a link for web-based submissions
> provide details about your entries
> allow you to pay your entry fe
FILL OUT THE ONLINE ENTRY FORM HERE!
VAE members - $10 per artwork/$20 for two pieces*
Non-members - $15 per artwork/$30 for two pieces*
*Entry fees are non-refundable. Click here to join VAE!
Deadline for entries.....................11:59pm on Wednesday, December 21, 2016
Artwork Drop-off...........................January 26 & 27, 2017 11am-6pm
Exhibition Run………………….….…...February 3 - March 30, 2017
First Friday Receptions…..…….….February 3 & March 3, 2017 6pm-10pm
Artwork pick-up…………...........……March 31, 11am-6pm & April 1, 11am-4pm (no april fools!)
To use the online form to submit information about and images of your work, please review these instructions for naming your files:
- All files should be named like so: 01_LASTNAME_TITLE.jpg, 02_LASTNAME_TITLE.jpg.
- Still images should be sent as jpegs should be at least 1000px at their widest dimension, not to exceed 2MB per image. 2D artists may submit one JPEG per entry. 3D artists may submit two JPEGS (one full shot and one detail) per entry. Follow the filename format for works as indicated above.
- Video samples should be edited to no longer than 2 minute excerpts. It is strongly preferred that video & audio artists submit their work online through clips or url addresses to online sharing formats like hulu, vimeo, youtube, or dropbox. Videos submitted as uploaded files should be submitted as Quicktime files whose width is no larger than 720px and file size is no larger than 10MB (as that is the largest file eligible for upload on our entry software). Video pieces will only be accepted for exhibition if they are captioned, either with open captioning that is integrated into the video, or closed captioning that can be turned on when needed. Read info about captioning videos on Youtube, with iMovie, or Quicktime! Please only submit video art or video documentation of an art piece that requires video to be fully experienced. Do not send video walk-throughs of static exhibitions or video slideshows. While web-hosted submissions are strongly preferred, video and audio samples can be submitted on CD if necessary. Please contact Brandon Cordrey to make arrangements for CD delivery prior to deadline. Follow the filename format for works as indicated above.
- Audio: Audio should be submitted as separate MP3 files. Each track should be no longer than 2 minutes. Follow the filename format for works as indicated above.
- Web-based: Web-based work should be submitted as a URL listed in the work sample list. Please only submit web-based projects. A portfolio website that features audio/video art and still images will not be considered.
COSO17 is open to any living artist. A maximum of 2 works of any medium, per artist may be submitted. Two and three dimensional entries will be accepted. Work must be original and completed in the last 3 years. No copies, mechanical reproductions, molds or kit work will be accepted. VAE reserves the right to exclude work due to size or special requirements. Entries must be hand delivered to the gallery or mailed in a returnable container. Artwork submitted on behalf of an artist requires written and signed authorization from the artist.
VAE’s gallery space is fully accessible and we strive to make the submission process accessible as well. We encourage anyone to enter our open call exhibitions. If you need any additional information or accommodations in order to enter this exhibition or become a VAE member, please email Brandon or call 919.256.6856 for assistance. Visit our accessibility page for more information.
Ship artwork using a sturdy, reusable packing materials clearly labeled with your name and telephone number. Do not include return postage in case the artwork sells during the run of the exhibition. Following the exhibition each artist who shipped their work should generate a FedEx label and email it to Brandon so the piece may be returned. Do not use styrofoam packing peanuts. Shipments of artwork will be accepted January 23-28, 2017.
309 W Martin Street
Raleigh, NC 27601
VAE will retain a commission of 30% for VAE members, 50% for non-members on all work sold during the exhibit. If a work is not for sale please indicate with NFS value in appropriate space during registration or on the consignment sheet. Click here to join VAE!
All entries will be handled with the utmost care and respect. VAE is not liable for artwork during transportation to or from the gallery but does carry a blanket inland marine policy that covers most fine art works and craft items up to $5,000. VAE reserves the right to refuse coverage to artwork with inherent vices, high values or that is deemed unstable. By entering into this show, the artist agrees to abide by all rules and regulations as set by exhibition guidelines.
QUESTIONS? Email Brandon!